Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Road to a Mission ~ Part 3

From Elder Foley~

Friday, April 18th, 2008 was my last day at work as a scripture supervisor for Church translation. It started off by going to the doctor for a final examination. I then went into the office and began to tidy up my office. I had removed almost everything previously but there were still a few odds and ends left, e.g. cleaning out my email, copy some personal files from my office computer, throwing away some old papers, etc. At noon the other scripture supervisors took me to lunch at the Lion House. A couple of my former managers also were there. It was a very pleasant experience. We reminisced a lot about former colleagues and what they were currently doing. Last Monday I had a more formal recognition with a larger group of my department and was honored there. At 2:00 pm I went to Human Resources for my exit interview. This included turning in my work badge, credit card and parking sticking. I filled out a short interview form and chatted with HR representative about going on a mission. After the interview I went back to the office, picked up my knapsack, said goodbye to a couple of people and left.

Today was an emotionial time. It seemed unreal in many ways that my employment was at an end. I have fond memories of my numerous trips abroad, the people that I worked with there, special talks given by general authorities to our group, and the unquestioned divine assistance as I struggled with translation issues and other problems throughout my career.

My patriarchal blessing promised me safety if I would be cautious during my travels. I know that that promise was fulfilled. In all I made the following work trips:
-- 40 trips to Africa
-- 7 trips to the Pacific Islands
-- 3 trips to Scandinavia
-- 8 trips to Latin America
-- 1 trip to Canada
-- several trips in the US including Indiana, North Carolina, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, and California.

I know that the blessing of the Lord was with me in these travels and pray that it will continue with me as I enter the next phase of my life.


(pictures on right in Ecuador, picture on left in Ethiopia)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of trips! It's hard for me to imagine that you're all done with working, but what great experiences you had! I know before this job you had lots of jobs you weren't that crazy about, so I'm glad you were able to find something you loved so much and were able to do it for so long. Now on to more exciting adventures!

KickButtMommy said...

I knew you had traveled a lot, but WOW! That is truly amazing. I remember when you were in Kenya and had to be evacuated. I am glad you had that promise in your blessing.

GrandmaNutt said...

You have only just begun, Elder. Your stellar life of service has only hit the midpoint. Good luck and Bon Voyage.